Led Outdoor Lighting
LED bulbs have become commonplace home fixtures favored by many because of energy saving benefits. Compared to fluorescent bulbs, LED bulbs will last up to 5 times longer and do not generate heat or UV rays. The energy efficiency is as a result of using 80 percent less energy to produce the same lighting effect. Investing in LED outdoor lighting is a great way of cutting down on your energy bills. The following tips will help you choose the right LED bulbs.
Led Outdoor Lighting – Energy efficiency
To begin with you need to understand two important factors, Lumens and wattage. Lumens is a measurement of how much light a bulb produces while wattage is the amount of energy used. You can answer this question by finding out how many Lumens per watt the bulb is consuming. The rule of thumb is to choose a bulb with high Lumens to watts ratio. Such a bulb will have the best energy efficiency and is worth buying.
Led Outdoor Lighting – Base size
You should buy LED outdoor lighting bulbs which will fit the bases that you have at home. If you are not sure, take one of the bulbs with you to the store to get a perfect match. Most lighting fixtures at home have a screw in base.
These bases can be broken down into four main categories:
1. Bi-pin base. This is a standard base that is used for fixing small lights.
2. Candelabra base. The base for this type is bit larger and is commonly used for fixing chandeliers.
3. Miniature candelabra base. Also used for fixing chandeliers but slightly smaller than a candelabra base.
4. Medium base. This is the standard base used for most overhead light fixtures.
5. Intermediate base. This base for light fixtures fits anything between candelabra sized bases and medium bases. Shape Manufacturers have come up with different kinds of shapes.
Some of the most common shapes include:
1. Spotlights. These kinds of lights are made to concentrate light on a certain spot. You can use this characteristic if you would like to have track lighting or recessed lighting.
2. Floods. This type of LED outdoor lighting bulb will cover a much larger area than spotlights.
You can use floods for landscape lighting or with motion sensors. If you would like outdoor floodlighting for your party, floods are just perfect. Color temperature LED bulbs are very good at bringing out the true color of an object. Manufacturers use a scale of 0 to 100 as the basis of perfection. The higher the mark, the better the Led bulb will render objects in true color. Light shades range from a soft white to a bright white. It is advisable to stick with bright white when choosing LED outdoor lighting bulbs.
While shopping, you will notice that the temperature rating is given in Kelvin. Always choose a high vale if you are looking for a bright light bulb. In addition, manufactures are making outdoor light bulbs with remote control features for dimming purposes. You will also get warranty just in case the LED light bulb does not work as expected. You can be sure that this investment will pay off with time.